Noone ever tells you this!

Housework, if it is done right, can kill you. ~John Skow ---------

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

This little sink of mine - I'm gonna' let it shine

My daughter recently told me about a tip she had heard that if you keep your sink shined, it will lead you to keep other things in your kitchen clean also.  I thought I would give it a try today.  I have a white porcelain sink and if you do a lot of cooking in your kitchen, you know that porcelain sinks get a little surface scratching from pots and pans; however they do shine up pretty nicely if you use dish detergent and bleach.

Today, mine was a little grubby, so I cleaned it thoroughly with soap and water and let a little water/bleach bath sit in it for a while.  Then I dried it and it looked so nice, I just had to go on with my countertop doing the same thing - which led me to move, clean up and shine my rooster canisters.  They were so spiffy looking that I moved my toaster oven (umm - when did I last move my toaster oven) - and it surely needed a cleanup - inside and out and underneath.  Wow!  That toaster oven just shines!!  Next, on to my coffee maker.  I had just recently cleaned out my Pampered Chef cooking utensil carrousel, so it was fine.  This was all looking great so I moved on to the stovetop, oven and finally the dishwasher door.  And don't forget the center island!  My center island where I store pots and pans is made of 100 plus year old heart pine beadboard that came out of the old house behind us.   It's small, but I love it!  A little Murphy's Oil gave it a sparkle. 

Before I knew it, I had my whole kitchen clean - and just because I started shining my sink!  You know how marriage counselors tell you not to go to bed angry with your spouse?  Why not "don't go to bed without shining your sink?"  It will make you happy when you get up in the morning to a clean sink.

Before picture - cluttered and needing a good cleanup!
Much better!
Spic and span

You can see your reflection in that countertop!

The rooster canisters got a good washing!

And there's that sink - shiny as can be.
Have a tomato!
Now, it's your turn!

2 comments:

  1. Wow ! Great job! It is true. While I don't like to clean, having a clean sink falls into the "orderly" category for me. I can't stand to go to bed with dishes in the sink. It makes me wake up with yesterday looming at me in discouragement.

    Your kitchen it beautiful! You did a good job. Thank you for your encouragement.

    Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jules - still have a long way to go!

    ReplyDelete